Tax filing season for individuals officially began on Thursday 1st of July and runs to 23 November 2021
The South African Revenue Service (SARS) commissioner Edward Kieswetter said: “The need for many employees to work remotely has been necessitated by the Covid-19 pandemic in an unprecedented manner. He called on taxpayers to carefully consider claims for work from home expenses. “It is important to note that the law in this regard has not changed. We really want to caution taxpayers to correctly and truthfully complete their returns, as this behaviour will be detected.”
SARS warned that whilst all claims for home office expenses may be subject to further verification or audit by the tax body, it is important to note that there is a high likelihood that a taxpayer who claims home office expenses for the first time will be selected for verification or audit.
The Express Online Course is developed to take participants systematically through all the relevant principles.
The aim of this Express Online Course is to assist participants to make the correct initial tax decisions when dealing with their home office expenses. The following pertinent questions will be addressed:
- When will I be able to claim office expenses?
- What are the requirements for claiming home office expenses?
- How do I calculate home office expenses?
- Where will I claim home office expenses on my Income Tax Return (ITR12)?
- What required supporting documentation is required?
- What are the Capital Gains Tax Implication if I sell my house used partially for trade?
Practical examples are incorporated throughout the session, explaining the key principles.
After successfully completing the course, you will receive a certificate of completion (1 hour CPD/CPE).